So, you’ve finally decided to take an online job to increase your monthly income. Welcome to the freelance world! However, you are still having doubts if this is really profitable. You worry that you’re just wasting your time, energy and effort. Truth be told, freelancing is not always a piece of cake. There will be ups and downs, and yes, there is not much stability in this industry since most of the available jobs are contractual-based. However, don’t be discouraged. You will find that being a freelancer is one of the most fulfilling and most rewarding experiences that you could ever have.
Here are the top reasons to pursue a freelance career:
- It’s free. You don’t need a financial capital to kick start your freelance career. The most reputable freelancing websites like Odesk.com do not ask for registration fees from members. You definitely don’t need money to start working. As long as you have skills and expertise to offer, it’s very unlikely to run out of job offers or jobs to apply for.
- More options. Unlike in a corporate environment where you are boxed in a monotonous job, there are a lot of work options in freelance. Office employees have one specific job title at work, but in freelance you can explore a wider range of choices. You can be a freelance writer and a SEO specialist in one. Or you can be a web designer, professional blogger and web researcher all rolled into one. The opportunities are limitless. You can even a pursue a career in programming if you’re interested. All you have to do is to self-study, if you can, or enroll in a class that will train you to become expert in the particular area that you like.
- Make money. This is obviously the number one motivation for most people. Cash and money! That’s right. There is a high possibility of earning lots of dollars in freelancing. Although most contracts are short-term, it doesn’t necessarily mean that being a full-time freelancer is an unstable profession. If you are really good in your chosen field, you have the right work attitude, you are professional, and you are a highly responsible contractor, job offers will be coming continuously. The best thing about freelancing money? You get the payment, generally, on a weekly basis. Unlike in offices where employees’ salary is released twice a month, freelance websites such as Odesk.com release the contractors’ earnings every Wednesday morning. Weekly pay out is so cool as it makes it easier to plan for your daily budget.
- Set your own terms. In freelancing, when an online employer hires a contractor, both parties will decide on every aspect of the project. Of course, the employer is still the boss, but the freelancer has the right to ask for upfront fees, set his hourly rate and arrange his work schedule. Unless they agree on everything, the project will not proceed. So, if you are an aspiring freelancer, it’s an asset if you are good in negotiating with people.
- Comfort. Do you hate traffic jams? Then freelancing is for you. First off, freelance jobs are home-based. This means that you don’t need to transport from home to office and back and forth just to work; hence there is no need to face heavy traffic and rush hours every single day. No need to wear uncomfortable or ugly office uniforms. And best of all no need to commute or worse drive. Think about it. This is actually a great way to escape gas price hike.
Having said all things, freelancing is a great way to start an online career. It is an excellent training ground to enhance your skills while earning money. As a freelancer, your earnings grow as your skills develop. The best part is that you can build your portfolio without spending a dime.