In the affiliate marketing business, getting your site’s visitors to pay attention to the content of your website is just half the battle.
Getting them to click on the banner ads of your featured merchant is what often seals the deal for your commission.
For newbies in the internet marketing business, this might seem like too much work, hence the appeal of AdSense.
AdSense features numerous ads from different merchants and does not require you to exert as much effort in developing the banner ads.
The banner ads are automatically generated based on the type of activities featured on the website.
The end goal for AdSense is getting the most number of clicks in the advertising materials featured in the website because this will be the basis for your commission.
The challenge now for AdSense users is how to ensure that visitors to their websites click on the ads.
- Select your ads carefully. AdSense features multiple ad sizes to choose from, but not all will prove to be effective in enticing the visitor to click on the ad. The most productive ad types are the 160×600 (Wide Skyscraper), 300×250 (Medium rectangle), and the 336×280 (large rectangle).
- In the same manner, ad placement is also vital for your campaign’s performance. Positioning them in the spaces where visitors are automatically bound to look at increases the likelihood that they will click on the ad. For example, the human eye will always start reading from the left side so one of the recommended positions for the ad is at the top left of the page. The best possible placements are on the sidebar, just below the content above the comment box, at the top of the content below the title, and at the top left of the page.Mix and match the ad types featured in your site. AdSense offers you the option of putting up text-based ads, display ads or both, depending on your choice.
- What this does is it lets the text-based ads and the display ads alternate their appearance in the same ad position so you have a series of different ads that can be clicked by the user.
- Monitor your statistics in Google Analytics to see which pages/topics are generating more clicks so you can determine what your site visitors are more interested in seeing in your website.
- Less is more when it comes to banner ads despite the perception that it will increase the likelihood of visitor clicks. At most, ads should be limited to 2 to 3 because more than that can disrupt the attention of your visitors and even lead them not to come back to your site.
Whether you chose to go through the AdSense or affiliate marketing route, one thing’s for sure-the internet has made earning money a little bit more doable for people.