Doing your homework before choosing a moving company can help you save a lot of money. Many factors determine how much you may be spending and each company has different rates depending on the type of service offered.
It is important to remember that cheap movers are not always the best and choosing them can land you in a lot of trouble. You might actually end up paying more than what you had bargained for.
Top 5 Tips to Save Money with Your Choice of Moving Company
- Compare moving companies – The best way to save money with your choice of movers is to compare the companies and the services they offer. You can get a quote from more than two companies and this enables you to find the most affordable services in your area. Be specific about the kind of services that you may require so that you are able to get an accurate quote.
- Hourly rate – Most moving companies charge an hourly rate when you move locally. It is advisable to calculate how much time is required to complete the entire process. You need to consider packing, loading and unloading into consideration when calculating the time. It is always advisable to add a couple of hours to the time that you had calculated for unexpected events (adverse weather conditions and traffic jam).
- Weight rate – If you are moving from one state to the other then moving companies charge depending on the weight of the items transported. Reduce the load and get rid of things that you do not need. You can choose to give away things that you do not need to charity or gift it the local community or to friends. When the weight becomes less, you start saving money.
- Timing – Moving companies are usually fully booked on Friday, weekends and holidays. When you time the moving during off days like Monday or middle of the week then you may be able to get a better deal. There are also off seasons like the month of June or July when you may be able to get a discount from movers. The first and last days of the month can also help you get cheap rates.
- Pack it yourself – If you have only a few household items, you can choose to pack them on your own. Moving companies charge money for packing and when you do it on your own; you may be able to save money. However you need to remember that there are some items that require specialized packing and it is best left to experienced and skilled workers. This can ensure that they are safe during loading and unloading process.